- Draw 1 ml (10mg) from a phenylephrine 10 mg/ ml vial
- Inject into 100 cc bag of saline
- Shake thoroughly, then draw 10cc from the bag into an empty syringe.
- Label syringe. Now each 1 ml contains 100 mcg of phenylephrine
- 0.5-2 ml (50-200 mcg) every 2-5 minutes PRN hypotension
- Duration 10-20 minutes
- Onset < 1 minute
Alpha agonist. Increases blood pressure without increasing heart rate. Can be used to improve coronary perfusion but will increase cardiac afterload.
Updates and Controversies in the Early Management of Sepsis and Septic Shock (Pharmacology CME) Date Release: Apr 2021 Sepsis and septic shock guidelines, requirements, criteria, and treatments have changed substantially in the last few years. This issue reviews the latest evidence and discusses the changes and current controversies in sepsis diagnosis and management.