In this episode, Sam Ashoo, MD interviews Lela Bachrach, MD, MS, Larissa Truschel, MD, MPH, and Makini Chisolm-Straker, MD, MPH – the authors of the July 2022 PEMP article on Human Trafficking of Children and Adolescents: Recognition and Response in the Emergency Department. Listen to the discussion to hear more about the emergency medicine approach to human trafficking.
EMplify – Sept 2022
- What is the differential diagnosis for this scenario in the ED?
- Are these diagnoses mutually exclusive ?
- What role do EMS providers play in the recognition of trafficking?
- What are common presentations/complaints that may represent trafficking?
- Examination: Privacy, use of a separate room, how do we accomplish this with minors?
- Ground rules: What does this mean? How do you state this in your practice? Do you find this dissuades patients form reporting?
- Technology: What if they are on the phone?
- History – HEADS-ED
- Physical examination
- Findings that lead to suspicion
- Documentation best practices.
- Imaging: Any role for this?
- Lab testing: STI, anything else?
- Screening tools: Trauma-informed care, PEARR tool
- Local laws differ by state. How do we handle this with patients? Does it dissuade reporting?
- “Rescuing mentality” and what that means in the ED
- Beyond medicines:
- Local services
- National hotline
Diagnosis: What to chart?
National Human Trafficking Hotline
Last Updated on January 25, 2023