Take a deeper dive into our peer-reviewed emergency medicine content with the EMplify podcast. Join host Dr. Sam Ashoo for educational, conversational reviews of current evidence guaranteed to help you make your best clinical decisions. Each high-yield episode gives you practical, time-tested guidance from practicing emergency medicine clinicians and subject-matter experts. Listen and learn!
EMplify – February 2021
Community Acquired Pneumonia – An Interview with Dr. Matthew DeLaney, FACEP
1. Pneumonia and nomenclature : healthcare associated vs hospital associated
2. COVID-19 and antibiotics
3. Bacteriology – Strep is only 10-15% of hospitalized pneumonia, Viral pneumonia is about 20% (pre covid)
4. Conditions that predispose to pneumonia
- chronic lung disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchiectasis)
- older age
- proton-pump inhibitors, H2 blockers, and antipsychotic agents
5. Is there a historical or exam item most likely to be indicative of pneumonia?
6. How good is a CXR?
7. When should I consider a CT if the CXR is normal?
9. Blood cultures, sputum cultures, urine antigens- are these helpful?
10. CURB-65 vs PSI
11. Antibiotics- table 3 major and minor, history of prior infection, and doxy for everyone !
12. Duration – 5 days works
13. A walk through the pathway
Last Updated on January 25, 2023