Take a deeper dive into our peer-reviewed emergency medicine content with the EMplify podcast. Join host Dr. Sam Ashoo for educational, conversational reviews of current evidence guaranteed to help you make your best clinical decisions. Each high-yield episode gives you practical, time-tested guidance from practicing emergency medicine clinicians and subject-matter experts. Listen and learn!
EMplify – July 2021
Announcements: Be on the lookout for an announcement regarding the new EB Medicine app, coming to an App Store near you this month !!
HIV- An Interview With Dr. Daniel Egan
See the EB Medicine Article @ https://www.ebmedicine.net/topics/infectious-disease/HIV
- Why HIV?
- 2018 , 1,2 million people living with HIV, almost 40k new infections
- People living with HIV visit the ED 3 x per year on average
- HIV infected patients accounted for 6 in 1000 ED visits in 2017
- New Transmission of HIV, Figure 1
- What does acute infection look like ?
- What about chronic infection ?The chronic phase can last 10 years or more and be asymptomatic.
- Are people with HIV more likely to develop: CAD, COPD, DVT and why?
- What if they are on medication for HIV?
- Screening in the ED, everyone? Do they have to have symptoms or risks?
- What does universal screening mean?
- What does risk based screening mean?
- What are the risk factors? What if I see someone on PrEP who is in the ED for an unrelated complaint?
- Ask about cd4 and viral load and last test
- Ask about he of opportunistic infections
- Ask about medication side effects
- What else?
- Labs – rapid testing, 4th gen, viral load and cd4, etc
- Table 1
- Highly effective and reduces transmission
- Medication side effects (we don’t have to dwell on each Med and side effect and just reference the charts)
- hep B virus deactivation
- System Based Disease
- Heart Failure and CAD
- PCP (role of LDH)
- Renal Disease – stones , radiolucent
- Neurologic- CVA, cryptococcal meningitis, toxo, progressive multi focal leukoencephalopathy, HAND
- GI – diarrhea causes, c diff, hep C
- Heme- cytopenia
- Endocrine – metabolic syndrome
- Psychiatric table 3
- Special Circumstances
Last Updated on January 25, 2023