Take a deeper dive into our peer-reviewed emergency medicine content with the EMplify podcast. Join hosts Sam Ashoo, MD and T.R. Eckler, MD for educational, conversational reviews of current evidence guaranteed to help you make your best clinical decisions. Each high-yield episode gives you practical, time-tested guidance from practicing emergency medicine clinicians and subject-matter experts. Listen and learn!
EMplify – April 2021
- Traumatic Hemorrhage in the ED- with Dr Scott Weingart – April 13th, 8pm EST Free ! Register now: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/traumatic-hemorrhagic/register
- Pandemic Preparedness publication is coming soon.
- Mt Sinai COVID-19 Treatment Protocols have been updated and are available for free here: https://www.ebmedicine.net/topics/COVID-19/Protocols
- The Clinical Decision Making in the Emergency Department conference is June 23-27 live and virtual. More information here: https://clinicaldecisionmaking.com
Management of Suspected Rabies Exposure in the Emergency Department – An Interview with Dr. Bess Storch
- Fatality rate of over 99%
- Half of cases occur in children
- 95% of cases are in resource limited countries, 35% in India
- 99% caused by infected dogs (worldwide)
- In the US, cases are predominantly bat variant
Why this topic?
- “In a recent survey of licensed physicians, less than half could identify rabies transmission routes, the correct PEP schedule, and the correct anatomic administration sites.”
- What causes it? The RNA virus Lyssavirus
- How is it transmitted?
- How does it reach the brain?
- What does it look like clinically?
- 5 stages- incubation, prodrome, acute neurologic phase, coma death
- Why doesn’t everyone just get vaccinated?
- What patient medical history is important ? Steroids, chloroquine
- What animals are high risk?
- What about pets and quarantine?
- What about rodents ?
- Is there any role for labs or imaging ?
- What is the treatment regimen for those who are unvaccinated? And vaccinated?
- What about people who are immunosuppressed?
- Recently traveled?
Last Updated on January 25, 2023