Emergency Care for Transgender and Gender-Diverse Children and Adolescents – An Interview With Dr. Hannah Janeway and Dr. Clinton Coil
This issue of Pediatric Emergency Medicine Practice is available at no cost here:
- What is the difference between gender and sexual orientation?
- What are some of the terms we may encounter (current or retired)?
- How does a lack of knowledge / competency regarding care for transgender and gender diverse (TGD) youth create barriers to effective care? Or negatively affect the quality of care these patients receive?
- What is the best way to approach a transgender patient in the ER?
- There are a number of ways transgender patient may alter their appearance. Why are these methods relevant (complications) and how do I ask about them?
- What medical gender-affirming therapies are currently available? And what complications can they cause?
- Pubertal suppression
- Feminizing or masculinizing hormones
- Is gender-affirming surgery used in this population ? What types (chest, genital) ?
- STI’s and Pregnancy are still considerations, correct?
- What are some of the problems that transgender youth have an increased risk of?
- Substance abuse
- Self harm
- Eating disorders
- Physicians and sexual violence
- Family rejection
- Food insecurity
- What are some helpful resources if I want to learn more?
Learn more about EBMedicine and subscribe to Emergency Medicine Practice or Pediatric Emergency Medicine Practice here: https://www.ebmedicine.net/
Last Updated on January 25, 2023