In this episode of EMplify, Dr. Sam Ashoo interviews Drs. Al Giwa and Akash Desai, the authors of Emergency Medicine Practice’s recent article: Novel Coronavirus COVID-19: An Overview for Emergency Clinicians.
This episode, designed specifically for emergency clinicians, discusses Coronavirus COVID-19, including:
- The cause and history of the virus
- How it’s transmitted/spread and prevention methods
- Tools for management and treatment in the ED
- Which patients should be tested for Coronavirus
- The role of telehealth, and when patients should go to the ED
- Using vital signs to triage patients in the ED
- And more!
01:01 Why should we care about Coronavirus?
02:22 What is zoonotic transmission?
03:56 SARS and MERS and previous coronaviruses.
04:38 What are typical Coronavirus symptoms?
04:55 What is R0 (R naught)?
06:46 Why is there so much concern about this Coronavirus strain?
10:05 Is there concern that COVID-19 is more lethal?
12:45 What tools do we have to combat pandemics? Containment
14:38 Treatment and vaccines
16:32 Fecal oral transmission
19:01 Airborne and droplet transmission
21:20 Recommendations for the public
22:00 Recommendations for healthcare workers
23:24 Who should get tested?
24:47 How to get patients tested?
25:51 What do you do with a patient you want to be tested?
Last Updated on April 29, 2022