Allergic Reactions and Anaphylaxis
The interactive Clinical Pathways have launched and they are available for free!
In this episode, Sam Ashoo, MD, and TR Eckler, MD, discuss the July 2022 Emergency Medicine Practice article on the Management of Allergic Reactions and Anaphylaxis in the Emergency Department.
- The number of ED visits and hospitalizations
- Studies show up to 57% of anaphylactic reactions are not recognized, and epinephrine is not administered in up to 80% of cases.
- 2006 Second National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease/Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (NIAID/FAAN)
- WAO revised the criteria in 2020
- Delphi group and Brown et al
- Most common causes in children and adults
- More than half of deaths from anaphylaxis occur within the first hour of symptom onset
- Give epi, H1 blockers
- Mainstay = recognition
- H1 and H2 blockers
- Biphasic reactions
- Kounis syndrome
Last Updated on January 25, 2023